It’s time to discuss the ever-popular meat pie! Whether you’re a fan of traditional recipes or you love experimenting with flavours, meat pies are versatile and can be paired with a variety of sides and drinks. In this post, we’ll explore some delicious pairings that will elevate your meat pie experience. Plus, we’ll address a common question: if meat pies are healthy.
The Art of Pairing Meat Pies
- Red Wine: For a hearty beef pie, a robust red wine like Shiraz or Cabernet Sauvignon complements the richness of the meat.
- White Wine: If you’re enjoying a chicken or turkey meat pie, a Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc pairs beautifully, offering a refreshing contrast.
- Mashed Potatoes: Creamy and buttery mashed potatoes are a classic side that melds wonderfully with the savory flavours of meat pies.
- Steamed Vegetables: For a healthier option, steamed carrots, broccoli, or green beans add a pop of colour and a dose of nutrients.
- Garden Salad: A simple garden salad with a light vinaigrette can cleanse the palate and balance the richness of the pie.
- Coleslaw: For a tangy twist, coleslaw with its crisp texture and acidic dressing offers a delightful contrast.
Beer and Ale
- Stout or Porter: These darker beers, with their deep and roasted flavours, pair well with beef or lamb pies.
- Pale Ale: A lighter pale ale is a great match for chicken or pork pies, complementing without overpowering the flavours.
Sauces and Gravies
- Rich Gravy: A meaty gravy drizzled over the pie can enhance its flavours and add a luxurious touch.
- Chutney or Relish: For those who enjoy a bit of spice and sweetness, a chutney or relish can add an exciting dimension.
Are Meat Pies Healthy?
While we indulge in the delicious world of meat pies, it’s essential to consider their nutritional content. Meat pies can vary greatly in terms of healthiness, depending on their ingredients and preparation methods. Generally, they are high in protein and can be a good source of iron and other nutrients. However, they can also be high in calories, fats, and sodium, especially if they include processed meats and are made with buttery pastries.
Pairing meat pies with the right sides, drinks, and sauces can transform your meal into a delightful culinary experience. We hope this guide helps you create memorable dining experiences with meat pies as the star. Bon appétit!