Most of us probably eaten dozens of pancakes in our lives and some may taste great, others may taste awful, and some just might taste like the average pancake.
One great thing about pancakes is that it can come in different shapes, sizes, and texture so you can experiment with it and add more ingredients to your mix before cooking your pancake. And although pre-made pancake batters taste good, nothing beats creating your own pancake mix. You can personalize it by controlling the sugar level, adding some fruits, or use a different type of flour. That’s why in this article, we are going to show you some tips and tricks for making your own pancake mix.
- Bring your ingredients to the same temperature – Using ingredients that are too hot or too cold can affect the quality of your pancake mix. That’s why you need to take the chilled ingredients such as milk out of the fridge and let its temperature naturally come to room temperature. Doing this trick can result in a smoother batter thus preventing you to overmix.
- Do not overmix your batter – Speaking of overmixing, resist the urge to get rid of every single lump you see in your pancake mix. Because the more you mix, the more gluten the flour will produce which will make the pancakes chewy and dense. So it’s okay if there are still lumps and bubbles in your batter.
- Separate wet and dry ingredients – This might be the most basic rule there is when it comes to baking and making pancakes. Combining the wet and dry ingredients separately and adding the wet to the dry slowly and gradually will result in fewer lumps and guarantees that all of your ingredients are well mixed together.
- Add a carbonated drink – This trick might sound a little weird but believe it or not, adding a splash of sparkling water in your pancake mix can take your pancakes to a whole new level of fluffiness. The bubbles in the carbonated drink act like a leavening agent that helps the batter lighten and creates a soft texture.
- Separate the egg whites – Separating the egg whites and the yolk is a method that is used in making souffles and meringues. Doing this trick on your pancake mix will give you airier pancakes.
- Use a whisk to mix your batter – Resist the urge of using your favorite wooden spoon or silicone spatula when mixing your batter and try using a whisk instead. Mixing your batter with a whisk can help incorporate extra air in your pancake thus resulting in airier and fluffier pancakes.
- Try using buttermilk –Instead of using milk, try using buttermilk on your pancake mix. It will give your pancake a rich and tangy taste that perfectly goes with sweet and fruity toppings such as strawberries and blueberries. Here’s a recipe for buttermilk drop pancakes that will make your breakfast completely spectacular.
- Try using bananas instead of the traditional flour – Flourless pancakes is complete a thing. Substituting flour with other ingredients such as bananas can make your pancakes taste more flavorful and not to mention, healthy. We found a great banana pancake recipe for you to follow and try it out for yourself.
- Try going for savory pancakes –Go out of the ordinary and try some savory pancakes by adding some cheese or ham in your pancake mix. Here is a recipe for some savory pancakes that you can eat even after breakfast.