You might not notice it every day but the spatula is one of the most common utensils you use in your kitchen. You might probably have a spatula for cooking and if you like to bake, you may have one specifically for baking. But did you know that the spatula you use for cooking and the one you use for baking both have the same name but they look different and used in different kitchen task?
Over the years, the word “spatula” has been adapted into other similar kitchen utensils with other uses in the kitchen. While the spatula, in general, is a utensil that is used to turn or flip food in a pan. However, there are differences between the several spatulas that you use in your kitchens such as icing spatulas, turner, wooden spatula, silicone spatula, and slotted flipper. You may have them in your kitchen and they might share the same name but they are used for different purposes.
Baking Spatulas Vs. Cooking Spatulas
The original kitchen spatula is also called as the turner or flipper. It is a flat angled piece of heat-resistant plastic or metal that has a long handle. It is primarily used to flip or lift food such as pancakes, bacon, eggs in a pan. Some spatulas have air slots or grooves and some may be solid without any holes. But either way, the original kitchen spatula is your ultimate go-to utensil if you want to flip over burger patties, fish fillets, pancakes, or any food that needs to be turned over or lifted to transfer.
In baking, the spatula has a different purpose and it is not the same as the spatula that you use when cooking. And one common spatula that you use in baking is the silicone spatula. If you want to scrape off the sides of a pan, bowl, or any other containers as cleanly and efficiently, you can use a silicone spatula. This spatula can also withstand high heat without melting so it is safe to use in freshly baked macaroni or lasagna. On the other hand, there is the icing spatula. It is used for frosting and icing cakes and there are two kinds of this spatula, the straight and the offset spatula.
Different Kinds of Spatula
Turners – This kind of spatula got their name from the act of turning such as when you flip food over so that it will cook on the other side. They often are very rigid and have a sharp bend before the flat flipping surface and a long handle. There are three major types of turners and these are:
- Perforated Turners – These turners have several small holes that let the extra grease or liquid drip off when you pick up the food.
- Slotted Turners – These turners are highly versatile which means that they can not only drain grease, they can also be used on delicate foods because of the power of their slots.
- Solid Turners – This kind of turner doesn’t have any holes or slots, they are just solid. They are perfect for flipping pancakes and for people who are scared of holes.
Fish Spatulas – This is the odd-looking cousin of the turner spatula. Fish spatulas don’t have a sharp angle but instead, it has a gently curved surface that makes it incredibly flexible and it gives you the ultimate control over handling extra-delicate foods such as fish.
Offset Spatulas – This thin spatula has the flexibility of fish spatulas and the angle of the turner spatula. Offset spatulas are usually used for baking and frosting cakes but they are also a perfect utensil if you want to have a precise work on coaxing stubborn waffles off an iron or cooking bite-sized pancakes.
Silicone Spatulas – If you like to bake, then this spatula is a must-have in your kitchen. But the silicone spatula is not only great for baking, but it is also ideal for stovetop cooking because of its flexibility that allows you to scrape the bottom of the pan because it can reach into the corners and prevents your food from scorching and sticking.
The Best Spatulas in the Market
Now that you know the different types and uses of the spatula, it’s time that we recommend some products for you to look into. With several brands and types in the market, it is quite hard to decide which spatula you should buy. But worry no more because we made a list of the best spatulas that you can find online.
Best Turners Spatulas
- Slotted Spatula Turner – This slotted spatula turner is made of food grade, durable, rustproof stainless steel. It has a smooth surface that is easy to clean, it is dishwasher safe, and it has an ergonomic handle that has a vacuum like design to reduce heat transmission.
- 3-Piece Turner Spatula Set – This spatula set includes a griddle scraper turner, a perforated cooking spatula, and an ordinary cooking spatula. All of them has large turner heads that enable you to handle small and large proportions of food. They are also functional for cutting when you’re grilling and it is perfect for home and restaurant use.
- Stainless Steel Solid Spatula Turner Set – This two-piece solid spatula set is made from high-grade and rust resistant stainless steel. It has a wider blade compared to other spatulas which will not break egg yolks, cookies, and pancakes. It has a corner between the blade and the handle which makes it easier for you to get the spatula under the food and flip it.
- Cuisinart 5-Piece Stainless Steel Spatulas – This 5-piece stainless steel spatula set is perfect for your outdoor kitchen upgrade. It includes a dual-purpose scraper that removes cooked foods, long spatulas with cutting edges, a slotted spatula in case you need to remove the excess oil before plating it, and a round-shouldered spatula that is perfect for flipping steaks, burgers, and grilled sandwiches. It has ergonomic grips that don’t absorb oil or moisture. The handles are perfectly balanced with the spatula heads so its easier to control when you’re cooking. It has rounded edges that smoothly slide beneath the food without scratching the griddle surface and allows you to transfer your food effortlessly. It is made of high-quality, rustproof, and flexible stainless steel that is perfect for home and restaurant use.
- Oxo Wooden Spatula – There is nothing like using a good old-fashioned wooden spatula for cooking. The Oxo wooden spatula is made from solid beech wood and it has a 14-inch turner that keeps your hands away from oil and heat. This is safe to use for non-stick cookware and its natural oil finish protects the wood turner and it is guaranteed that it won’t leave any wood debris on your food.
Best Fish Spatulas
- Adept Chef Fish Spatula – The AdeptChef fish spatula is made of a sturdy stainless steel core and spatula head. It is not just perfect for cooking fish, it is also made for heavy and long grilling. This is a slotted spatula so it allows the extra grease to drain and its beveled edge is made for easy sliding beneath foods for a smooth flip. It has an ergonomically designed stainless steel handle so you won’t ever have to worry about getting a splinter again.
- Mercer Culinary Fish Spatula – The Mercer fish spatula is made from heavy-duty and precision ground stainless steel that is formed to have the perfect balance between stiffness and flexibility. It has an ergonomic grip with textured finger points, a slip-resistant handle that can absorb up to 50 percent less heat, and a sanitation-sealed handle.
- Oxo Good Grips Fish Turner – This fish turner is perfect for cooking whole fish, seafood cakes, and filets. It has a beveled edge that slides easily beneath foods and it has slots in the head which allows the grease to drain. It’s head is made of durable, oversized stainless steel which is perfect for cooking larger fish. The Oxo good grips fish turner has a soft, ergonomic handle that gives you a comfortable grip.
Best Offset Spatulas
- Stainless Steel Icing Spatula Set – This set includes a 6 inches, 8 inches, and 10 inches stainless steel offset spatula. Their design is ergonomic and it will not get in your way when you are decorating your cake. Its bent icing blade helps you ensure equal portion when spreading your icing. It also has a non-slip handle so you can have a firm grip while using the product. You can use this to spread cream, jam, and remove the cake from your baking molds.
- Puckway Set of 4 Offset Cake Icing Spatula – This spatula set comes in four different sizes, the four inch, six inch, eight inches, and 10 inches blades allows you to evenly spread the icing on your cake no matter how small or big it is. It is made of high-quality, flexible and durable steel with natural wood handle. it has a space saving design and a dedicated hole in each handle that enables you to easily hang it.
- Ateco 3-Piece Ultra Offset Spatula – This 3-piece spatula set comes in three sizes that has flexible stainless steel blades that allows you to precisely edge your icing around cakes and other frosted desserts. All of the spatula has a durable, ergono and shock-resistant plastic handle that
Best Silicone Spatulas
- Heat Resistant Silicone Spatula Set – These silicone spatulas are BPA Free and it is made of high quality, heat-resistant, and non-sticking silicone. It has perfectly angled head and ergonomically designed handles that are proven reliable even if you’re using it to transfer the heaviest of batters. It is perfect for flipping pancakes, removing waffles, or folding fruits into batters. This set comes with four silicone spatula that has different shapes and sizes.
- Oro Silicone Turner – The Oro silicone turner is BPA Free, FDA Approved, and LFGB certified non-stick silicone which allows you to cook safe and healthy meals while protecting your non-stick or coated cookware. This silicone turner is built to last and it is heat-resistant up to 600 F. It has a classic sleek and ergonomic design that allows you to flawlessly and effortlessly cook and bake your favorite dishes.
- 7-Piece Silicone Spatula Set – This 7-piece silicone spatula set is made of food grade, FDA approved, lead-free, and BPA free silicone which it gives you a worry-free, safe, and healthy cooking experience while protecting your coated cookware. Their handles and spatula blades are non-stick, corrosion resistant, and heat resistant up to 446F. You will never have to worry about food sticking on your cookware because you can easily scoop it up with these spatula set.