If you’re keen on creating the prettiest pancakes ever, pancake molds are your friend. With them, you can make pancakes into all sorts of whimsical shapes, from hearts and flowers, to farm animals, space aliens, and planes. There are even molds perfect for celebrating holidays, such as Santa- and snowflakes-shaped molds for Christmas, bats, and pumpkins for Halloween morning, and bunnies for Easter brunch.
Some may think of them as uni-taskers, but they’re so not. You can also use your pancake molds for perfect eggs, home-made burger patties, English muffins, biscuits, cookies and many other foods that can be molded into shapes.
Pancake molds are very easy to use, but you might need some practice first before you get to serve picture-perfect pancakes. Here are some tips for using your pancake molds properly:
- Before you let pancake come in contact with the pancake mold, grease the inner surface of the molds first with vegetable oil or a non-stick cooking spray. This will make removing pancakes in them easier and flawless.
- Pre-heat the molds until they are hot. This is what most people don’t do. Besides adding grease, pancake molds need to be preheated so it will be less likely stick to the pancake batter. Place molds on the griddle with the handle facing up. It’s best to preheat them while you preheat the griddle or pan.
- Don’t fill the molds with batter – remember, they expand as the pancakes are being cooked. Just fill them with 1/3 to ½ of its way up the sides with batter. If you pour too much batter, you would risk it spilling over.
- Use a pancake pen to fill the molds easier. Using a squeeze bottle with a narrow tip will give you maximum control over where to place the batter, so there will be no untidy drips in the pan. A pancake pen is your best bet, but you can also use a plain squeeze bottle, like the one you use for dispensing condiments (although, they might be harder to clean after). The spoon can be your simplest tool and it will surely work fine, but it will just take a little more patience and care when filling intricate molds.
- As with cooking pancakes the usual way, wait until bubbles form on the surface of the pancakes. After that, carefully lift the molds away from the pancakes and set them aside. Besides seeing bubbles, you can wait for two minutes or simply observe if the batter is pulling away from the olds. If you remove the molds too soon, it will ruin the shape of the pancakes.
- Once the molds are removed, flip the pancakes over using a spatula. Continue cooking for two more minutes or until the undersides are golden brown. Serve the pancakes or place them in a low oven to keep warm.
- Before making more pancakes, wipe the molds clean (if there’s any batter that stuck) and grease them again.
Here are some quality pancake molds you can buy on Amazon right now:
Make your favorite Mickey shape pancakes using this silicone pancake ring, with dual use as an egg ring.
Mornings will be magical with Fred’s Crack a Smile Unicorn breakfast mold. Make ordinary eggs and pancakes into edible enchantments. This pure BPA-Free silicone mold is packed in a full-color gift box.
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, a Jedi Kitchen Master used the Force to create three pancake molds in honor of his favorite galactic hero and villains: Yoda, Darth Vader, and a stormtrooper.
FOOD GRADE SILICONE 100% pure premium quality, fadeless, eco-friendly, nontoxic, Upgrade 2017 New Product Fantastic Fast & Easy Way to Make Perfect Pancakes Non-stick silicone surface.
The Smiley Face Pancake Pan by Nordic Ware is the addition to your Saturday morning breakfasts. The seven different smiley faces are fun and unique You’ll love the non-stick coating that makes cleanup a breeze.
Draw fun, intricate designs with the Whiskware Pancake Art Kit; includes Batter Mixer, Art Bottle, Two Silicone Shapers, and BlenderBall whisk.
Easily create fun shaped or just plain round pancakes without mess or spills with this set of pancake pens by Tovolo. Simply fill the pen with batter and squeeze.
If you want to show how much you love your family, cook them pretty, heart-shaped pancakes! The Norpro Nonstick Heart Pancake/Egg Rings come in a set of two, with each capable of holding ¼ cup batter or one whole raw egg. It also has a nice wood handle and a non-stick coating for easy release and clean-up.
For those who want their pancakes as a perfect circle, this is a perfect choice. This 4”, 4-piece set of circular silicone molds is best for eggs, pancakes, burger patties, breakfast muffins and more. And since it is made of silicone, it won’t scratch your pans – and don’t worry about it, it can handle high temperatures up to 460 °F. It has a folding handle so you can use it in cooking in a griddle with lid, and for easier storage.
PNBB Stainless Steel Molds is a product made of food-grade stainless steel designed for making fun and lovely shapes for your pancakes or eggs. This product is a set of eight, different shapes of molds (star, flower, bird, elephant, dog, heart, circle and Mickey Mouse) and comes with a silicone pastry brush perfect for greasing the molds and the griddle.